Friday, May 04, 2007

The music industry is killing itself

I've just received an email from Pandora stating that I'll no longer have access to their streaming services because I'm a non-US citizen (for those of you who don't know what Pandora is, check out their website here - but only if you're on US).


Pandora is a free on-line streaming service for music based on the tastes of the User. It's really simple to use, all you have to do is choose some artists you like and then Pandora will create playlists based on those choices, allowing you to know similar/related artists.

I already got to know 4 or 5 artists that were completely unknown to me and that are about to make me spend several 0,99€ on iTunes to buy their musics.

Now, can someone explain me how blocking non-US citizens will help the music (copyright) industry? What's the point of restricting use to a service that is, in fact, a good business model, which brings some revenue by helping Users discover new artists, thus spending more money on music?

Even though the restriction against users with foreign IP addresses can be easily removed by using some proxy service (such as ProxyBlind), it is still sad to see that the music industry is shooting itself on the foot.

No comments: